ST MARY AT THE WALLS TRANSCRIPTIONS OF PLAQUES AND TABLETS

 

As transcribed by Mr Robert Brown & Miss Karen Waddy

on 8th, 13th & 29th November 2002.

1907 interior

 

After entering the main West door, under the tower, on the left wall is a white marble effigy of JOHN REBOW in stone.

The Rebow crest is above the effigy.

The tablet to the left of the effigy reads:

SACRED

TO THE MEMORY OF

ISAAC MARTIN REBOW

OF WIVENHOEPARK IN THIS COUNTYESQR

COLNEL OF THE EAST ESSEX MILITIA

FROM THEIR FIRST ESTABLISHMENT

AND MEMBER FOR THIS BOROUGH

IN FIVE SUCCESSIVE PARLIAMENTS

WHO DIED OCTR 5TH 1781

ALSO OF

FRANCES MARY REBOW

HIS YOUNGEST DAUGHTER

WHO DIED MARCH 7TH 1793

ALSO OF

SARAH EMMA HICHENS

HIS SECOND DAUGHTER AND WIFE OF

HENRY HICHENS OF PENZANCE IN THE

COUNTY OF CORNWALL ESQR

WHO DIED MAY 24TH 1798

ALSO OF

MARY EMMA REBOW

DAUGHTER OF LIEUTT COLL

FRANCIS SLATER REBOW

AND MARY HESTER HIS WIFE

AND GRANDAUGHTER OF THE ABOVE

ISAAC MARTIN REBOW

WHO DIED FEBY 15TH 1804

The tablet to the right of the effigy reads:

SACRED

TO THE MEMORY OF

MARY REBOW

AND DAUGHTER OF

THOMAS MARTIN OF ALRESFORD HALL

IN THIS COUNTYESQR

WHO DIED DECR 22ND 1804

ALSO OF

MARY HESTER WIFE OF

LIEUTT GENERAL FRANCIS SLATER REBOW

OF WIVENHOEPARK

AND ELDEST DAUGHTER AND CO-HEIRESS

OF THE BEFORE-MENTIONED COLNEL REBOW

SHE DIED THE 23RD DAY OF JULY 1834

AGED 57 YEARS

IN HER EXERCISE OF EVERY CHRISTIAN

VIRTUE WAS UNITED WITH THE MOST

AMIABLE AND ENDEARING MANNERS

ALSO OF

THE SAID FRANCIS SLATER REBOW

OF WIVENHOE PARK A GENERAL IN THE ARMY

WHO DIED THE 7TH OCTOBER 1845

IN THE 76TH YEAR OF HIS AGE

HE WAS THE SON OF R SLATER ESQRE OF CHESTERFIELD

AND ASSUMED THE NAME OF REBOW ON HIS

MARRIAGE WITH THE BEFORE-MENTIONED

MARY H REBOW OF WIVENHOEPARK

Underneath the effigy is another large stone tablet, which reads:

JOHN REBOW OF COLCHESTER MERCHANT DYED THE 13 OF APRIL 1699

IN THE 72 YEAR OF HIS AGE AND IS BURIED NEAR THIS PLACE AND SARAH HIS WIFE

DAUGHTER OF FRANCIS TAYSPILL OF THE SAID BURROUGH MERCHANT

SR ISAAC REBOW KNT ERECTED THIS MONUMENT IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER AND MOTHER

LIKEWISE TO THE MEMORIES OF

MARTHA REBOW WHO DIED AUGUST 17TH 1705

SIR ISAAC REBOW——————-SEPTR 19TH 1726

JOHN REBOW—————————MAY 23RD 1731

ISAAC LEMING REBOW———-MARCH 3RD 1734

JANE REBOW—————————–NOVR 2ND 1737

JANE REBOW————————MARCH 31ST 1751

After entering the West door, under the tower, there is to the right a wooden rood screen fixed to the South wall.

Carved into the screen is an inscription.

It reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND AS A

THANKOFFERING THIS SCREEN WAS

GIVEN BY PERCIVAL ROBERT AND

FLORENCE BRINTON 1922

Fixed to the south internal tower wall, above the rood screen, is fixed a large wooden carved plaque which features the following inscriptions:

ST MARY THE VIRGIN: COLCHESTER
COMMONLY CALLED S. MARY-AT-THE-WALLS
LIST OF RECTORS FROM 1286 AD
THE NAMES OF RECTORS PREVIOUS TO THAT DATE ARE UNKNOWN.

1286 THOMAS AIGNELL.  DIOCESE OF LONDON
1310 ADAM ATTE WELLE.  UP TO 1846
1330 RICHARD DE BORHAM. FIRST BISHOP
1361 JOHN BELTESFORD.  RESTITUTUS 314
1361 WILLIAM DE BELLASFORD
1382 WILLIAM CRANWELL
1385 RALPH PINSTHORPE DE HENHAM
1390 THOMAS LOWE
1394 JOHN HOREWOOD
1395 ROBERT WARE
1403 JOHN CANNON
THOMAS WILKINSON
1434 JOHN CHICHELEY
1436 JOHN MILDWELL
1439. ROBERT LARDENER
1464 ROBERT WYLLY
1467 WILLIAM KETILL
1476 JOHN ISAAC
1483 THOMAS KERVER
1503 ROBERT LOWNDE
1531 EDMUND CAMPION
1532 JOHN CLARKE
1539 THOMAS KYRKHAM
1551 MARMADUKE SMYTH
1555 JOHN THORPE
1556 JOHN FRANCIS
1556 THOMAS DYCONSON

1558 THOMAS BROWNE
1562 HUGO ALLEN
JOHN WALFARE
1596 GEORGE ARCHER
1603 THOMAS TAYLCOTT
1641 JOHN STEVENS
WILLIAM BOISSARD  ( INTRUDED DURING THE COMMONWEALTH )
JOHN SMITH
1676 JOSEPH POWELL
1697 DAVID KENNEIR
1707 ROBERT MIDDLETON
1735 JOHN CARLETON
1737 PHILIP MORANT
1771 THOMAS BARSTOW
1788 THOMAS TWINING
1804 PHILIP BAYLES

1855 CHARLES ALFRED L’OSTE  DIOCESE OF ROCHESTER 1846 TO 1877
1870 JOHN WILLIAM IRVINE   FIRST BISHOP  JUSTUS 604
1897 GREVILLE TURNER HAYLES  DIOCESE OF S. ALBANS 1877 TO 1894
1933 GEORGE AUGUSTUS CAMPBELL FIRST BISHOP
1946 HAROLD ISAAC NOAKES   THOS LEGH CLAUGHTON 1877
1965 RALPH STEVENS
DIOCESE OF CHELMSFORD
1914
FIRST BISHOP
JOHN EDWIN WATTS-DITCHFIELD  1914

——————————————————————————————

CHURCH & TOWER
RUINED IN THE SIEGE 1648
CHURCH REBUILT
1713-14 AND 1871-72
TOWER BRICKWORK
ADDED 1729
REPAIRED 1911
NAVE ROOF
RE-TILED 1916

—————————————————————————————————-

THIS CARVING IS THE
WORK AND GIFT OF
HENRIETTA SELINA ORD
BOARD FIXED  1910

————————————————————————————————-

North / South aisle, above the font and to the left is a dark wooden plaque with gold writing.

It reads:

AD 1695

JEREMIAH DANIELL

LEFT BY WILL A RENT-CHARGE OF 40 SHILLINGS

PER ANNUM UPON A FIELD CALLED

COCKERILLS CROFT

TO BE GIVEN IN COALS TO THE POOR OF

THIS PARISH FOR EVER

On the South wall, to the right of the fire exit is a white marble tablet.

It reads:

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF

JOHN LINGWOOD

WHO DIED 20TH MARCH 1834

AGED 60 YEARS

ALSO OF

SARAH WHITTAKER LINGWOOD

(RELICT OF THE ABOVE)

WHO DIED 10TH JULY 1844

AGED 71 YEARS

THEIR BELOVED REMAINS ARE DEPOSITED

IN A VAULT IN THE CHURCHYARD

NEAR THIS SPOT

On the South wall, to the left of the fire exit is a brass plaque.

It reads:

THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED AS A CHURCH

DECONSECRATED, IT ISN`T A CHURCH ANYMORE

ONE DAY, HOWEVER, IT MAY BECOME A RUIN

IF SO, IT WILL BE A RUIN OF A CHURCH

On the South wall, to the left of the fire exit door, there is an upper plaque.

It reads:

NEAR THIS PLACE, REST THE REMAINS OF
HARRIET FRANCES WIFE OF
RICHARD REEVE OF GIFLINGHAM
SURGEON OF THE WEST-SUFFOLK REGT OF MILITIA
(DAUGHTER OF CLAUDE BENEZET ESQ
AND ANNE HIS WIFE
OF MARGATE IN THE IfLE OF THANET)
WHO DIED SEPR 7TH 1801
AGED 30 YEARS

On the South wall, to the left of the fire exit door, the lower marble tablet is inscribed:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF
MILDRED AGNES
WIFE OF
PERCIVAL HOPE KEALY
ROYAL ENGINEERS
WHO DIED AT ROORKEE INDIA
DECR  6TH 1902
ERECTED BY HER HUSBAND & MOTHER

On the South wall is a brass plaque.

It reads:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

YORICK GORDON SMYTHIES

ELDEST SON OF THE REV WILLIAM YORICK SMYTHIES

DIED IN PERNAMBUCO 15TH APRIL 1882 AGED 35 YEARS

AND OF

WILLIAM GORDON SMYTHIES

SECOND SON OF THE REV WILLIAM YORICK SMYTHIES

DIED IN LONDON 1ST APRIL 1909 AGED 60 YEARS

Underneath this plaque on the South wall is another brass plaque.

It reads:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

GEORGE FAIRHEAD WRIGHT

WHO ENTERED INTO REST

ON 12TH MAY 1931

AGED 72 YEARS

THE PEACE OF GOD WHICH

PASSETH ALL UNDERSTANDING

yorick

(Photo kindly provided by David P Walton).

On the South wall, between brass plaques is a marble carved tablet.

It reads:

SACRED
TO THE MEMORY OF
CHARLES NORFOLK SMYTHIES CLERK DCL
WHOSE MORTAL REMAINS REST IN THE VAULT BENEATH
AFTER A BRIEF
BUT BRIGHT COURSE IN THE MINISTRY
AS CURATE OF THIS PARISH
HE BREATHED HIS LAST IN PEACE AT PENZANCE
IN THE COUNTY OF CORNWALL
ON THE
6TH DAY OF DECEMBER 1847
IN THE 35TH YEAR OF HIS AGE
“GOD FORBID THAT I SHOULD GLORY SAVE IN THE CROSS
OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST”
GALS VI.14
ALSO OF
HENRY TRAVERS SMYTHIES
WHO DIED IN THE LORD ON THE 2ND DAY OF FEBRUARY 1854
AGED 10 YEARS
ALSO OF
THE RIGHT REVD CHARLES ALAN SMYTHIES DD
BISHOP OF ZANZIBAR
WHO DIED AND WAS BURIED AT SEA
MAY 7TH 1894  AGED 49
A NOBLE LIFE OF DEVOTION TO DUTY

On the South wall, about halfway along, is a brass plaque.

It reads:

IN TENDER MEMORY OF

THE REVD

WILLIAM YORICK SMYTHIES

TRIN: COLL: OXON:

OF “HILLSIDE” WEELEY COLCHESTER

YOUNGEST SON OF THE LATE

FRANCIS SMYTHIES ESQ

OF “THE TURRETS” COLCHESTER

CURATE OF PAULTON-CUM-FARRINGDON

AND WEMBDON SOMERSET

VICAR OF SHILBOTTLE NORTHUMBERLAND

RECTOR OF BUCKLAND DOVER

INSPECTOR OF SCHOOLS

FOR THREE SUCCESSIVE BISHOPS OF

ROCHESTER AND ST ALBANS

VICAR OF WEST MERSEACOLCHESTER

RECTOR OF ALGARKIRK BOSTONLINCOLNSHIRE

FELL ASLEEP AT ALGARKIRK HALL

JULY 2ND 1910 AND IN HIS 94TH YEAR

BURRIED IN BUCKLAND CHURCHYARD

THEM WHICH SLEEP IN JESUS WILL GOD BRING WITH HIM

1 THESS IV 14

On the South wall, there is a brass plaque (to the right of a marble tablet) behind the bar.

It reads:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
FRANCIS SMYTHIES
WHO DIED 18TH MAY 1888
AGED 77

On the South wall behind the bar is a brass plaque.

It reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN THE LOVING
MEMORY OF WILLIAM PRATT GARD
BORN 8TH APRIL 1858
DIED 8TH NOVEMBER 1888
“AND THE SEA GAVE UP THE DEAD WHICH WERE IN IT”

On the South wall, above the bar, is a white marble tablet with a small sculpture of a hand holding oak leaves and acorns on the top.

It reads:

IN REMEMBERANCE

OF FRANCIS SMYTHIES ESQRE

WHO DIED MAY 13TH 1840 AGED 60

AND HERE BENEATH LIES BURIED

NOT FORGOTTEN

ALSO OF HIS CHILDREN

PALMER, ELLEN AND ELIZABETH

WHO DIED IN THEIR YOUTH

AND ALSO OF

CAROLINE RELICT OF THE ABOVE

WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE OCTR 11TH 1851

IN HER 70TH YEAR

ALSO OF HARRIET JANE WIFE OF

FRANCIS SMYTHIES

WHO DIED NOVR 11TH 1871 AGED 49

On the South wall, behind the bar on the top left hand side is a white marble tablet.

It reads:

TO THE MEMORY OF
CAROLINE
THE BELOVED WIFE OF GEORGE EDWARD TOMPSON ESQ
OF YARMOUTH NORFOLK
AND SECOND DAUGHTER OF THE LATE
FRANCIS SMYTHIES ESQ OF COLCHESTER
IN WHOSE VAULT SHE LIES INTERRED
SHE DIED JULY 1ST 1844 AGED 29 YEARS.
THIS TABLET IS RAISED BY HER HUSBAND
AS A TRIBUTE TO HER MANY
EXCELLENT QUALITIES

On the South wall, behind the bar on the lower left hand side is a white marble tablet.

It reads:

THOMAE TWINING AM
HVIVS ECCLESSIAE RECTORI
VIRO IN QVO
DOCTRINA INERAT MVLTIPLEX ET RECONDITA
INGENIVM ELEGANS NON EXILE SPINOSVM QVE
SED ACCVRATVM ET ACVTVM
IN REBVS QVAE AD ARTEM CRITICAM PERTINENT EXPLICANDIS
SERMO SINE ACVLEO ET MALEDICTIS FACETVS
ET SAPORE POENE PROPRIO ATHENARVM IMBVTVS
MANSVET VDO MORVM ET COMITAS SVIS PERIVCVNDA
PIETAS ERGA DEVM PVRA ATQVE SINCERA
SIQVIDEM HONESTA DE NATVRA EIVS OPINIONE
STABILI QVE IN CHRISTO FIDE
POTISSIMVA NIXA EST
ET CVM SYMMA IN OMNES HOMINES BENEVOLENTIA
NVNQVAM NON CONIVNCTA
RICARDVS TWINING FRATRI CARISSIMO
NATO VIII ID CALEND IANVAR ANNO SACRO M DEC XXXV
MORTVO VIII ID AVGVST M DCCC IV
CONDITO COLCESTRIAE IN SERPVLCRETO TEMPLI
AD MILEEND SITI
H.M.P.C

On the East wall to the right of the stage area is a large dark coloured marble tablet commemorating those lost in the

First World War.

There are angels and a cross above the names, and a banner inscription beneath the angels and above the names,

which reads:

THE SOULS OF THE RIGHTEOUS ARE IN THE HAND OF GOD

The names on the tablet read:

ALLEN S FISHER E M MILLS F A
ARMES H C FROST F C S MUNSON A H
BAREHAM H GAME A NEAVE W
BARNES A GARROD H NEVARD A A
BARNES G G GILL W R OLIVER H P
BARRINGTON A L B GOWEN F A PADMORE J A
BEARD E C GRIMWOOD J C PARISH G E
BEETON F HAMBLION H W PAUL E K M
BLAKE C HAMBLION W PHILLIPS U B
BLYTH W J HARDEN A H PLUCK R E
BOOTH J H HARRINGTON A PRAED F A
BOWRING A H HART R C PRIME E J
BROWN G A HARVEY S R PRITCHARD G W
BRUCE J HAYCROFT T W W PURKISS L
BRUCE N HAYWARD H B REDHOUSE F
BRUNWIN-HALES G O HAZELL F P REED A
BRUNWIN-HALES H T HEAD M ROWE A H
BULTITUDE F S HORWOOD R B SECKER J D
BUNTON C HUMM H G SHEAD J W E
BURLEIGH E HUNWICK J P SHELDRAKE G C
BYE H J HUNWICK W C SMITH E THOMPSON
CARD L H HUSSEY F W SMITH J
CHATTERWELL W ISOM S C SPARLING A E
CLARK F S KEATLEY C R STANYON A
CLEMENTS V KEATLEY J D STICKLAND W A
COTTIS F KERNAGHAN G H STOWE E
COULSON A KETT E C TRIPHOOK  O L
CUTHBERT F KING J H TYLER J C
DANIELL S KING W H VERNARD W
DENTON A LEE B H VERLANDER W J
DINES E J LE CROS C A WADE W
DINES F E LILLEY F D WALLACE D W
DOE H G V LYONS A S WARD A G
EBSWORTH A LYONS B WATSON H
EDWARDS G W MASON C WILBY A D
EDWARDS W S MASON J W WILLS H
EUERBY J W MASON W J WINDSOR H F
EVES R V MILLER C H WOOLARD A G
FIELDGATE R L MILLER H A WOOLARD B E
  MILLICAN R I  

Underneath the list of names it reads:

TO THE LORD OF HOSTS

EVER OUR HOPE AND STRENGTH

IS CONSECRATED

THE WARRIORS CHAPEL

IN LOVING REMEMBRANCE

OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH

WHO FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM

DIED WHERE DUTY CALLED THEM

IN THE GREAT WAR

There are also the dates 1914 to the left and 1918 to the right, just above this inscription.

Near to the Rebow effigy, on the North / South aisle, near to the gentleman’s toilets is a dark wooden plaque

with gold writing.

It reads:

AD 1689

JOSEPH COX

LEFT BY WILL £100 TO BE VESTED IN LAND

THE RENT THEREOF TO BE GIVEN ANNUALLY

TO THE POOR OF THIS PARISH

FOR EVER

On the North wall, above the bar, there are two white marble tablets.

The upper tablet reads:

NEAR
THIS PLACE ARE DEPOSITED
THE REMAINS OF
HUMPHREY CARLETON ESQUIRE
OF THIS PARISH
WHO DIED SINCERELY LAMENTED
THE 27th OF JULY 1805
AGED 80 YEARS
HIS INTEGRITY AND MILD MANNERS
CONCILIATED THE ESTEEM OF ALL WHO KNEW HIM
AND HIS DOMESTIC VIRTUES
PARTICULARLY ENDEARED HIM TO HIS OWN FAMILY

On the North wall, above the bar, the lower white marble tablet reads:

IN MEMORY OF

JOHN RUDD

WHO DIED JULY 3 1827

AGED 68 YEARS

AND OF HIS WIDOW

MARY RUDD

DAUGHTER OF

THOMAS AND MARY DUNKLEY

WHO DIED OCTOBER 1 1831

AGED 76 YEARS

On the North wall, to the right of the bar is a white marble tablet with an urn above the inscription.

It reads:

SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF

EDWARD HASELL NEWELL

SURGEON

WHO DIED SEP 23 1800

AGED 21 YEARS

ALSO OF

SARAH RELICT OF THE ABOVE

ROBERT RICHARDSON NEWELL

WHO DIED APRIL 20TH 1825

AGED 73 YEARS

THEY LIVED BELOVED AND DIED

LAMENTED

There is an article about him here:

http://colchestermedicalsociety.weebly.com/since-1774.html

newell

Below is a similar looking white marble tablet.

It reads:

TO THE MEMORY OF

CAPTAIN CHARLES HASELL NEWELL

OF THE

ALEXANDER EAST INDIAMAN

AGED 34 YEARS

HE LOST HIS LIFE IN HIS BRAVE AND HUMANE EXERTIONS

TO SAVE THE SHIP BENGAL DESTROYED BY FIRE

OFF POINT DE GALLE JANY 16TH

1815

On the North wall, to the right of the fire exit, is a white marble tablet in the shape of a mantelpiece

with an urn placed on top.

It reads:

BENEATH
ARE DEPOSITED THE REMAINS OF
SIR THOMAS ORMSBY BARONET
WHO DIED AT COWES AUGUST 9TH 1833
AGED 35
MARRIED MARY MARTIN SLATER REBOW
ONLY SUVIVING CHILD OF
LIEUT GENERAL FRANCIS SLATER REBOW
AND MARY HESTER HIS WIFE
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED TO HIS BELOVED MEMORY
AND IN AFFECTIONATE REGARD TO HIS DISTINGUISHED
VIRTUES IN EVERY RELATION OF LIFE
ALSO OF
THE SAID MARY M. LADY ORMSBY
WHO ON THE DECEASE OF HER MOTHER IN 1834
BEING HER ONLY SUVIVING CHILD AND HEIREfS
RESUMED THE SURNAME OF REBOW
BY ROYAL SIGN MANUAL
SHE MARRIED SECONDLY JOHN, SECOND SON
OF T.L (or T).GURDON ESQRE OF LETTON IN THE
COUNTY OF NORFOLK AND DIED 17TH SEPT
1842 WITHOUT IfSUE IN THE 38TH YEAR
OF HER AGE

On the North wall, approximately half way along is a white marble tablet

with an opened book and horizontal sword carved above it.

It reads:

IN MEMORY OF

WILLIAM MASON INGLIS

CAPTAIN ROYAL ENGINEERS

WHO, WHILE SERVING IN THE

SIEGE OF SEBASTOPOL

WAS LOST IN THE WRECK OF THE “PRINCE”

AT BALAKLAVA

14TH NOVEMBER 1854

AGED 32 YEARS

Below this tablet is another white marble tablet with the design of a helmet,

a horizontal sword and a branch with leaves carved on the top.

It reads:

IN MEMORY OF

WILFRED F MARSHALL

SECOND LIEUT IV MADRAS PIONEERS

2ND SON OF CHARLES AND HELEN MARSHALL

OF COLCHESTER

WHO DIED WHILE ON SPECIAL SERVICE

AT OOTACAMUND INDIA21ST JUNE 1898 AGED 21

ERECTED BY HIS BROTHER OFFICERS

There are eight ochre terracotta clad columns in the church, four on either side of the East / West aisle.

On the base of the column near to the North wall and second down from the East wall is an inscription.

It reads:

DEDICATED TO THE GLORY OF GOD

AND TO THE REVERED MEMORY OF ALL

WHETHER IN HIGH OR HUMBLE STATION

WHO IN DAYS OF STRESS AND DANGER

UPHELD THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND

AS OUR MOST PRECIOUS HERITAGE

AD 1911

At the East end of the North wall is a white marble tablet with two dark marble columns either side of the inscription.

The top of the tablet is a triangular roof effect.

It reads:

TO THE BELOVED MEMORY OF

THIRZA

WIFE OF EDWARD SMITH

OF ST MARY`S LODGE IN THIS PARISH

WHO DIED JUNE 5TH 1875

IN THE FIFTY SECOND YEAR OF HER AGE

“BLESSED ARE THE PURE IN HEART”

“HER CHILDREN ARISE AND CALL HER BLESSED”

Below it is a simple white marble plaque.

It reads:

IN MEMORY OF

EDWARD SMITH

WHO DIED JANUARY 15TH 1897

AGED 81

In the Warrior Chapel is an inscription carved into a decorative wooden support frame.

It reads:

THESE ARE THEY WHICH FOLLOW THE LAMB

In the vestry, now an office is a slate coloured marble tablet.

It reads:

TO THE MEMORY OF

THOMAS MAYHEW GENT

SOMETIME A STUDENT AT XT CHURCH

OXFORD AFTERWARDS AT LEYDEN

IN HOLLAND ONLY SON AND HEIR OF

THOS MAYHEW GENT AND ATTORNEY

IN THIS TOWN WHO DIED AND WAS BURIED

HERE THE 6TH OF OCTOBR 1727

THIS MARBLE AND INfCRIPTION WERE

HERE PLACED IN THE YEAR 1748 BY

WM MAYHEW GENT WHO

MARRIED HIS SISTER ELIZ THOS

THE SON DIED A BATCHELOR THE 17TH OF OCTOBR

1739 AGED 27 YEARS

In the organ chamber, near to the door that leads to the vestry is a small brass plaque.

It reads:

IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF

ARTHUR WILLIAM NUNN

FOR MANY YEARS A DEVOTED

CHORISTER OF THIS CHURCH

WHO DIED JANUARY 25TH 1935

THIS MEMORIAL WAS GIVEN BY HIS WIFE AND FAMILY.

To the right of where the organ was situated is a wooden decorative screen dated 1908.

On the upper left hand side is a column topped with a crest.

On top of the column is an effigy of an angel holding a shield with a carved cup on the shield.

Underneath are the words:

CUP OF BLESSING.

On the column it reads:

1925

TO THE

GLORY OF GOD

THIS SANCTUARY

WAS DECORATED

IN LOVING MEMY

OF

HENRY E BAKER

G. O. BRUNWIN-HALES

WM  R. CANDLER

BORN IN THIS PARISH

1832 DIED IN DETRIOT

MICHIGANUSA 1909

CATHERINE M EAGLE

ED D. O. EALES

CHARLES FULLER

H. HOWARD FULLER

E. MILLICENT FULLER

MARGARET GAME

GEORGE S. MARTIN

EVAN THOS PROSSER

JANE PROSSER

CHARLES T. WARD

CHARLOTTE E. WEBB

ALICE WRIGHT

ALICE EMILY WRIGHT

FLORENCE M. GRIMWADE

JAMES PRIOR

MARY ANN PRIOR

ALSO AS A

THANK OFFERING FOR

THE

GOLDEN WEDDING OF

JAMES & ELIZABETH

ORRISS

 

On the North wall at the East end of the church is a large painting of Jesus and two others.

Under the painting it reads:

KNOWN IN THE BREAKING OF THE BREAD

Above the painting are three crests.

Under them it reads:

THE WAY                     THE TRUTH                     THE LIFE

To the left of the picture is an inscription.

It reads:

IN MEMORY OF EDGAR

ATLEE HUNT Dt MAY 6

1923 AND EDGAR DAVID

COPE HUNT Dt JUNE 20

1924 THIS PAINTING IS GIVEN

To the left of the East window is a painted panel depicting Saint Augustine.

Underneath is an inscription.

It reads:

1908

TO THE GLORY OF GOD

AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF

KATE LOCKWOOD

DIED JUNE 22 1906

To the right of the East window is a painted panel depicting Saint Aidan.

Underneath is an inscription.

It reads:

1908

TO THE GLORY OF GOD

AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF

JOSEPH HOWARD SECKER

A CHORISTER OF THIS CHURCH

DIED FEB 4 1907

On the South wall at the East end of the church is a stained glass window.

To the right of the window is a brass plaque with a crest above an inscription.

It reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD

AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF

ROBERT HENRY WHITCOMBE

D D

BISHOP OF COLCHESTER

BORN JULY 18TH 1862

PASED TO HIS REST

MARCH 19TH 1922

Under the window is a white marble tablet with a decorative coloured mosaic design.

It reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD

AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF

ADOLPHUS EDGAR CHURCH

MANY YEARS CHURCHWARDEN

RICHARD HERON GEE

ASSISTANT CURATE

JANE WIDOW OF FRANCIS

CURTIS RECTOR OF ALL SAINTS

CHARLOTTE MARY WIFE

OF EDGAR ATLEE HUNT

FRANCIS SMYTHIES AND

CHARLOTTE HIS WIFE PAR-

ENTS OF JANE H. HAWKINS

ALRESFORD HALL

AND OTHERS

THE EAST WINDOW WAS

DEDICATED AD 1903

Further to the right of the stained glass window is the arch over the vestry entrance.

It too is highly decorated and bears a painting of an angel.

Underneath it reads:

TO THE LOVED

MEMORY OF

JAMES

ORRISS

THE  DECOR-

ATION

These transcriptions were copied down over a period of several sessions and in far from ideal conditions in a busy Arts Centre, often in poor lighting.

We take no responsibility for the accuracy of these transcriptions, which were done to the best of our abilities.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “ST MARY AT THE WALLS TRANSCRIPTIONS OF PLAQUES AND TABLETS

  1. Wow what an amazing undertaking! This is a very important record and one which will prove important to families who are researching the genealogies as well as an important part in the towns history. Well done and thank you for your hard work. 🙂

  2. Hi, I recently found an old WW1 photo of G.T. Brunwin-Hales in military uniform and dog collar amongst a pile of old photos in my collection. I understand that he was Rector at St Mary’s for many years. Nice to see your blog. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s